Philippians 4 is probably one of the better known and most recognizable chapters in Scripture. Most Christians know, or ought to know, the following passage;
"4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
This passage is truly a great reminder and comfort to those in times of anxiety. Always go to the Lord in prayer (in good times too). Its also a key reminder to go to God in Thanksgiving. This spirit of Thanksgiving can be difficult for Christians as they go through difficult trials. Thus, Paul's next major point, and the verses I'd like to reflect on in this post.
Philippians 4:10-13
10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Again, many people know verse 13, and this is good. All things are possible with and through God, but I believe its important to see the preceding verses. They have to do with Contentment. The Apostle Paul can honestly say he knows "how to be brought low, and....to abound." This is a man who was wrongly imprisoned and beaten on numerous occasions. This is a man who was called by God to suffer (that's right, suffering isn't just some random thing that happened to Paul, it was one of his callings in life). How can Paul be content in a life where he is wrongly imprisoned, beaten, and constantly mocked by others? What is his secret for "facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.?" The answer is verse 13. Through Christ's strength he can do all things.
In every situation in life I need surrender all to Christ. I also need to be content in God's Providence. Understanding that providence isn't just things that happen in this life that I personally like, such as a material blessing. Everything that happens to me in this life is a providence that will ultimately be used for my good and more importantly for His Glory. Only through constant prayer and reading/studying scripture can a Christian begin to grow in true contentment. In Christ alone will this grace be found.
No comments:
Post a Comment