If memory serves correct, the first time I heard the following hymn was at Seventh Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan. My family started attending 7th when I was about 6 years old. It was at 7th that I learned many of the great hymns and Psalters of the Faith. It was also there that I went to Sunday School & Catechism classes from 1st through 12th grade. On Wednesday nights we would have catechism which was preceded by a short song service. Every week we would also have an evening service on Sunday night, also preceded by a song service. Thanks to my parents, I faithfully attended church twice each Sunday and each Wednesday night (whether I wanted to or not). Through those services I learned many hymns that have come to memory at various times in my life, even in some cases when I hadn't heard or sang them in many years.
The following hymn came to mind on the morning of my surgery this past July. My wife and I had been reading scripture and praying much for weeks before surgery, but for some reason, on that morning, at about 4:30am, the only thing I could think of was the following hymn. Through some shaky voices, and a few tears we sang this together:
What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.
Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.
What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.
Here is the scriptural basis for these words:
The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them. Deuteronomy 33:27
For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth the righteous. Psalms 37:17
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. Proverbs 3:5
The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Micah 3:11
No comments:
Post a Comment